My Mom-Mom, who has always kept an immaculate home & organized her world to a tee, has always given me the same answer when I ask her how she does it all: “It’s so simple!”
And she’s right — everything is so easy now. We have machines that wash our clothes, beds that don’t require annual re-stuffing with straw — heck, there are even services that allow us to do all of our grocery shopping online!
When I start feeling overwhelmed, it really helps me gain perspective to think about all of the little conveniences and automated butlers that help me run my home. I have my own washer and dryer, an instantly-clean crock pot that serves me dinner, tons of amazing apps that act as organizers and personal assistants, we recently purchased a dishwasher (the first one I’ve owned in 7 years!), and now….
I have a Roomba!!!!
It’s The Jetsons for real. Rosie the Robot — Roomba style!
My amazing, wonderful mother bought one for herself, for my Mom-Mom, and for me. She found a really cool, easy way to buy ‘em at bargain prices (I’ll show you how), and we are all in love with our new little vacuums!
I am sure most of you have already heard of the Roomba vacuum, but there are SO many awesome things about it that I didn’t even realize.
It’s not one of those made-for-tv gimmicky gadgets. This thing is bad-to-the-bone, real-deal-Holyfield, flippin’ amazing.
It cleans better than my regular vacuum (my mom says it’s better than her Dyson!) because it can get into corners, cleans right up against the baseboards, and fits under the couch, bed, & island where my normal vacuum didn’t fit.
See those sweeping arms with cleaning bristles? They reach into & under all of those little nooks & crannies to clean out the crud!!
It automatically senses when it reaches a ledge so that it doesn’t tumble down the stairs.
Even More Awesomeness:
- It automatically docks itself on the charger when it’s finished.
- If you put it in a different room, it will just run until it completes the job, then turn itself off (I thought I would have to watch it so it didn’t go dyin’ on me, but it turned itself off on its own!)
- My dogs don’t mind it. Chase kind of avoids it, but Basil will literally continue napping while it bumps & maneuvers its way around him.
- It learns the layout of your house & gets more efficient every time you use it.
How to Buy Them for Less:
Normally, these little guys are close to $400. (Reasons why I didn’t already own one.) But GUESS WHAT?! You can find refurbished versions on Amazon for CHEAP (I think mine was less than $200!)
Search “refurbished roombas” or “used roombas” on Amazon, then click on the links in the sidebar to see more options.
That’ll take you to a page that shows all of your options.
My Roomba Routine
- Empty dust pan before starting it (I’m already there, so it’s easy to remember)
- Turn on at night when I’m loading dishwasher (connecting new chores to an existing routine helps me get into the habit!)
- Wake up to a clean house!
Some days, if I notice it’s a little dirty in the laundry room or upstairs, I’ll let it run in those rooms. My house has never been cleaner. Gone are the tumbleweeds of fur that collected under the sofa. Dust bunnies hanging out under the washing machine? Outta there! Peek under my bed. I dare ya. Spotless.
Watch yourself, Martha Stewart! Casey’s got a Roomba, and the possibilities are endless!!
Still lovin’ my Roomba. I found this video on youtube & it entertains me WAY more than it should, so I figured I’d share it with you, too!
Thanks for the comment telling me to look up pets riding Roombas on Youtube, Stacy!