In an effort to be (and save!) green, the hubs & I recently started line-drying our clothes. I quickly realized an embarrassing little downside to this: we live very close to our neighbors on both sides, and it doesn’t exactly feel appropriate to hang my skivvies on display in our back yard! I decided to let my delicates stay indoors, air-drying from various doorknobs, etc. Let’s just say that Leif did NOT find it cute when my Vickie’s bras got stuck every time he tried to close the bathroom door! I researched a few ideas about creating a little clothespin rack or something, and then….
LIGHTBULB! I ran into the kitchen, snagged some extra magnetic clips & hooks from our fridge, and clipped my unmentionables right on the side of our metal dryer. Perfection! They’re not in plain view & they’re totally out of the way, but still close to the rest of our laundry so I can just toss them in the basket when they’re all dry. It’s such a simple organizing solution — I love it!
I loved my magnetic clips so much that I actually ended up ordering this magnetic hook rack from Better Housewares to hang even more stuff! The extra strong magnets are great — they’ll even hold a pair of workout shorts! It makes me happy every time I use it (which is ALL the time!) and I’m sure our neighbors appreciate it, too
Much like my oven mitt solution, you can see that I also use magnetic hooks to hold my collapsible laundry baskets on the side of the dryer:
Quick Tip: You definitely want to hang these on a side of your dryer that faces the wall in case you end up scratching it with a particularly heavy item (if your magnets aren’t strong enough to support the weight, they’ll slide down the side of the dryer). We haven’t had any scratches yet, but I figured you’d appreciate a head’s up just in case. You’re also taking advantage of the hidden storage factor when you hang everything between the dryer and the wall!
Why I adore this solution:
- I can air-dry my delicates without offending the neighbors
- It taps into previously wasted space on the side of my dryer — a fabulous small space solution!
- I can quickly sort items so that matching socks are next to each other, making it easy to put away later
- The magnets are easy to rearrange depending on varying garment sizes, etc.
- Since it’s tucked between the washer & the wall, it created a hidden storage space. You can’t even see my stuff hanging up unless you’re standing in the back corner of our laundry room!
Hooray, storage! How do you organize in your laundry room??